Vegetable seeds of 17 different types of High Yielding Crops suitable to the agro climatic conditions of the State are produced by 189 trained seed growers under the technical guidance of VFPCK Seed Production - Deputy Managers/ Asst. Manager. This is a shining example of how Public - Private Participatory (P.P.P) models can attain excellent results. This unit have nurtured and developed a harmonious and long standing relationship with the farmers of Chittur Taluk of Palakkad over the past 25 years to achieve what many thought impossible till recently. This unit is today widely acknowledged as a centre capable of engaging in the commercial production of vegetable seeds in Kerala and operating in an economically viable manner.
Uniqueness of VFPCK Seed Production Programme
- Seed Production without formal contract
- Only commercial seed producer in Kerala
- Lion share of vegetable seed production in public sector
- Competitive price when compared to other PSU’s in Kerala
- Exclusive full fledged Seed Testing Lab for Vegetables
- Well trained trustworthy and efficient seed growers
- Plays vital role in promoting high yielding varieties
- In VFPCK, seeds are produced by farmers for the farmers
- VFPCK acts as a facilitator to maintain genetic and physical purity of seeds
Locally indigenous seeds have certain qualities like their resistance to pest & diseases, preferred size etc. which has to be preserved and popularized. VFPCK intends to collect , produce and popularise these varieties. We have already initiated the process by cultivation of some identified varieties locally. Seeds collected through these trials can be used for expanding the cultivation further to more areas next year.
For more details contact :
Seed Processing Plant
Opp. Gurukulam School
Alathur , Palakkad.
Ph : 0492 -2222706